Topic: Kurta's Restaurant
The building circled above was built in 1940 for Eric Marinovich and Jacob Kurta. The two-storey concrete building, designed by T.H.Bates, replaced a wooden building which had also housed a restaurant run by the men.
A building permit was issued on February 8, 1940, the builders were Jones & Sandford, and the estimated cost £4,300.
In 1941 their newly built restaurant was advertised as "New Zealand's Most Modern Fish Restaurant". A particular design feature was a large rear window constructed of glass bricks.
The building was located on north-side of Devon Street West, in the block between Egmont Street and Brougham Street. It has now been demolished and is an empty section used for car-parking.