Topic: Radich Building 1925

Topic type:

Radich Building 

This two-storey building on Broadway, near the Glockenspiel, was built for Mr Ivan Radich in 1925. 

The building was designed by well-known Stratford architect, Mr J.D.Healy, and the contractor was Mr A.B.Burrell of Hāwera.

David Walter in his book, Shakespearean town under the mountain: a history, writes that Ivan Radich established his family-run restaurant in this building. He was joined two years later by his brother Mijo (Mick), who had been working on the Dargaville gumfields. The two families worked long hours and for a time all lived above the restaurant. 

In 1938 Ivan sold his share of the business to Mick and his two sons, Joe and Ned. In turn they sold  it to one of their employees Pat Marsh and his wife in 1964 - it closed a few years later.  

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion