Topic: Manoys Builidng 1925

Topic type:

Manoy's Building

Adolph Manoy arrived in New Zealand in 1904, settling first in Motueka. He moved to Stratford in 1909 and set up a small drapery store. The business was a success and in 1914 he moved to new premises on the site of the building above.

In 1923 Mr Manoy went into partnership with Mr William Hoskin. The two men formed a limited liability company, Manoys Ltd. The business continued to prosper and in 1925 the building above was erected. The architect was Mr V.S.Griffiths of New Plymouth and the contractor Mr C.Moore of Stratford.

Mr Manoy died on 4 September 1933 at his home in Pembroke Road. The business continued to trade until closing in the early 1960s.

In 2010 Ann Gluckman, the grandaughter of Adolph and Yetta Manoy, published Postcards from Tukums: A Family Detective Story. The book uses a box of letters and postcards found by workmen in her grandparents house to tell a family history. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion