Topic: Municipal Buildings 1916

Topic type:

Municipal Buildings 1916 

This two-storey building on Broadway was officially opened on 8 June 1916 by the Mayor, Mr Jos.W.Boon. It was designed by local architect, Mr J.D.Healy and the contractor was Mr. J.L.McMillan from Wellington. The building was completed on budget for very close to the contract price of £8792 10s.

The foundation stone had been laid on 18 November 1915 before a large group of local citizens. The stone, 2ft x 15 inches (60 x 38cm), was a slab of greenstone hewn from a quarry near Greymouth on the West Coast. A silver trowel was presented to the Mayor (who also laid the stone) by the contractor Mr J.L.McMillan.

A particularly significant part of the building is the Hall of Remembrance, Stratford's War Memorial. Located in the entanceway off Broadway it features photographs of all the local soldiers killed in both WWI and WWII. (see linked topic)

In 1989 the Stratford Borough and County Councils merged to form the Stratford District Council. At this time the Borough moved out of the Municipal Buildings into the County Council premises on Miranda Street.

Municipal Buildings 1920s (ATL collection).

                                           Image courtesy of the Alexander Turnbull Library c1920s

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion