Topic: Carryer's Buildings (1925)

Topic type:

Carryer's Buildings 

Work began on this building in late 1924 and was completed in July 1925. It was constructed for Mr Edgar Carryer who had bought the Egmont Clothing Company (1902-1919) from the O'Leary brothers. It was renamed Carryer's Menswear and was run by the family until bought by Don & Rod Wisnewski in 1970. It finally closed in the 1980s. (Stratford: Shakespearean Town Under the Mountain, A History, David Walter)

Stratford District Council holds blueprint plans for the building with the architect T.H.Bates noted on them. The tiling surrounding the windows on the upper floor is similar to a Bates building in New Plymouth (linked topic). 

The building was demolished in 2019 to make way for Stratford's new multi-million dollar CBD development.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion