Welcome to the Stratford Buildings basket.

If you would like to add images, documents or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please sign up to Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre I Te Pua Wananga o Taranaki.

Latest 5 topics

Petrie's Building .

Petrie's Building

This two-storey building is located on a prominent corner (intersection of Broadway North and Regan Streets) at the roundabout as you enter Stratford from New Plymouth. 

It was erected in 1923-24 for the watchmaker, Mr John Petrie. The ferro-concrete building was another significant project for Stratford architect, John D.Healy. The contractor was the Auckland firm, Messrs J.T.Julian and Sons Ltd. The cost was estimated at £5,800 and construction was expected to take about six months. (Stratford Evening Post, 31 May 1923)

Perhaps construction was delayed, or took longer

D.J.Malone & Co. Building.

D.J.Malone & Co. Building

This single-storey building on the corner of Fenton and Juliet Streets was built in 1926-27 for the wine & spirit merchants, D.J.Malone & Co. 

It was designed by notable Stratford architect, John D.Healy. The Stratford Evening Post announced the news of the new building on 21 August 1926 and tenders were called for two days later. Healy made provision in the design for a second storey if needed at a later date. The building included a warehouse, bottling store, cordial factory and offices.It was later reported (Stratford Evening Post, 30 September

Broadway Buildings 1926.

Broadway Buildings 1926 

This two-storey concrete building in Stratford's main street was erected in 1926 for a syndicate of business owners trading as Broadway Buildings Ltd.

A block of shops on the same site, owned by the syndicate, were destroyed by fire in September 1925. Early the following year the site was cleared and work began on the present building. Mr J.D.Healy was the architect and the contactor was Mr J.W.Boon. The gound floor housed three shops and the upper floor was divided into offices, including a boardroom for company meetings.

The Stratford Evening Post reported on 18

Manoy's Building.

Manoy's Building

Adolph Manoy arrived in New Zealand in 1904, settling first in Motueka. He moved to Stratford in 1909 and set up a small drapery store. The business was a success and in 1914 he moved to new premises on the site of the building above.

In 1923 Mr Manoy went into partnership with Mr William Hoskin. The two men formed a limited liability company, Manoys Ltd. The business continued to prosper and in 1925 the building above was erected. The architect was Mr V.S.Griffiths of New Plymouth and the contractor

Municipal Buildings 1916.

Municipal Buildings 1916 

This two-storey building on Broadway was officially opened on 8 June 1916 by the Mayor, Mr Jos.W.Boon. It was designed by local architect, Mr J.D.Healy and the contractor was Mr. J.L.McMillan from Wellington. The building was completed on budget for very close to the contract price of £8792 10s.

The foundation stone had been laid on 18 November 1915 before a large group of local citizens. The stone, 2ft x 15 inches (60 x 38cm), was a slab of greenstone hewn from a quarry near Greymouth on the West

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Broadway Buildings 1926.

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.