Topic: Criterion Stables
As the only surviving stables in the New Plymouth CBD, this building occupies an important place in New Plymouth's heritage fabric
Cropped Image by Mike Gooch
This unassuming building is likely the only surviving stables in New Plymouth's CBD. Stables were once a common sight around New Plymouth, and served an important function for visitors travelling to New Plymouth.
The building's facade has been altered considerably from its original form and is now almost unrecognisable from early photos. However, restoration is possible, and would signifcantly enhance the street appeal of this important building.
Michael Jones operated the Criterion Stables in the King Street building from at least 1908. The 1908 Cyclopedia of New Zealand entry for the Criterion Livery and Bait Stables mentions the stables operating in both Devon Street and King Street.
An earlier advertisment for Criterion Livery and Bait Stables in "Taranaki, The Garden of New Zealand: Short history and general description" published in 1906, mentions the stables operating in only Devon Street (opposite the Criterion Hotel).
It could be assumed the stables began operating from King Street sometime between 1906 and 1908, and may indicate the buildings original construction dates.