Welcome to the Patea Buildings basket.

If you would like to add images, documents, or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please register with Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.

 

Latest 3 topics

Patea Post Office.

Patea Post Office  

The Patea Post Office (cnr Egmont and Stafford Streets) was officially opened on the afternoon of 11 October 1923 by the Hon.J.C.Coates, the Postmaster General and Minister of Public Works and Railways. The contractor was Mr A.C.Bignall who presented the Minister with a suitably inscribed gold key to open the door and officially mark the opening of the building. The cost was estimated to be £7,500.

In 1991 the post office was sold and converted into a private residence. The building has recently sold again (January 2020) after being on the

Beaconsfield c2000.

Beaconsfield c2000 

                                                   (Image courtesy of the Patea Heritage Inventory 2000)

This large two-storey house in Patea (12 Lincoln Street) was built in 1880/81 for Captain Charles Allen Wray. He had been appointed Resident Magistrate for Patea and Hawera in 1877. He moved to Timaru in 1888, returned to England in 1909 and died at Bournemoth in 1920.

Following Wray's departure in 1888 Beaconsfield was occupied by Mr H.F.Christie, manager of the Bank of Australasia. The house was then rented by Dr. G.G.Gillo. According to an article by Mrs

Hunter Shaw Building.

Hunter Shaw Building 

This Georgian style building on the main street of Patea was built in 1930. Funding for the combined Library and Plunket Rooms was courtesy of a bequest from the estate of Mr Hunter Shaw.

Mr Shaw was a Whenuakura farmer who died in 1927 leaving a sizeable legacy (£8,500) for various charitable institutions. Shaw had bought and developed a 500 acre block of land known as "Crescent Falls". Born in Ireland, he was one of nine children - all unmarried.

Of particular interest is that the architects were the notable Auckland firm, Gummer and Ford.

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Patea Post Office (1972).

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.