Topic: Bank of New South Wales 1938

Topic type:

Bank of New South Wales 

This building on the corner of Tasman & Napier Streets was erected in 1938 for the Bank of New South Wales. The architects were Messrs Crighton, Haughton & McKay of Wellington and Boon Bros Ltd. were responsible for the build. 

It was described in some detail and pride by the Opunake Times on 5 July 1938, "Modern and complete in every detail, the bank building is worthy of a city, and Opunake may well be proud of this latest addition to the business area."

The banking business was conducted on the ground floor, while the upper floor was reserved for staff accommodation. Four bedrooms, bathroom, living room and a kitchen that, "the average housewife would find many features which took her fancy". 

It was announced on 15 November 1938 by the General Manager of the Bank of New South Wales, Sir Alfred C.Davidson, that the Opunake branch would open for business on 18 November 1938.

In more recent times (about 2010) it was converted in a backpackers (Surf Lodge 45) and was brightly painted with a mural by Dennis Lattimer. Now (2020) it is occupied by Opunake Coastal Pharmacy.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion