Topic: Club Hotel (1914)

Topic type:

Club Hotel 

The Club Hotel in Opunake (cnr Tasman and Havelock Street) was built in 1914 for Mr A.E.Brunette. The architect was Mr J.A.Duffill and the contractor was Mr E.W.Good. The electric lighting was installed by Mr W.B.Carrick of Hawera. (for a description of the building see attached web link 'New Club Hotel')

The new hotel replaced Middleton's Hotel, which burnt down in "The Great Fire" fire of 1913. The fire was thought to have started in the hotel laundry and quickly spread to neighbouring buildings. Many shops and business premises at the northern end of town were destroyed. 

The hotel has been managed by Rahui Tyagi since 2017. (see attached TDN article

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion