Welcome to the Opunake Buildings basket.

If you would like to add images, documents, or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please register with Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.

Latest 5 topics

128 Tasman Street.

128 Tasman Street

Henry James Newman and Zoe Ethel Newman (nee Prosser) were the first couple to marry in Opunake's St Barnabas Church in 1896. Their first home, which they had built in 1895 at 128 Tasman Street, was known as Newman House.

21 Layard Street.

21 Layard Street

Samuel and Elizabeth Prosser were hotel proprietors in Opunake and Wellington in the 1870s and 1880s. The house at 21 Layard Street, known as Prosser Cottage, was built in the 1870s as extra accommodation for their hotel guests, on rocks instead of piles.

Bank of New South Wales.

Bank of New South Wales 

This building on the corner of Tasman & Napier Streets was erected in 1938 for the Bank of New South Wales. The architects were Messrs Crighton, Haughton & McKay of Wellington and Boon Bros Ltd. were responsible for the build. 

It was described in some detail and pride by the Opunake Times on 5 July 1938, "Modern and complete in every detail, the bank building is worthy of a city, and Opunake may well be proud of this latest addition to the business area."

Jeffries Building 1914.

Jeffries Building 1914 

This single storey building on the main street of Ōpunake was erected in 1914 for Rahotu farmer, Charles Jeffries. It was a replacement for a building destroyed in the large Ōpunake blaze of 1 October 1913. At the time Jeffries had a portfolio of commercial buildings in the town. 

It was designed by the Ōpunake architect, Mr A.(Arthur) O'Brien - contractor is unknown. (see linked newspaper report for more about the architect)

Once completed the new building was leased out to the merchants Messrs. Holmes and Arthur. In 1919 the

Opunake Courthouse.

Opunake Courthouse 

The Ōpunake Courthouse in Tasman Street has been unoccupied for a number of years and has been allowed to fall into a state of neglect. The building still appears as a category 2 building on the Heritage New Zealand register (#4953). After the courthouse closed, the building was converted into a medical centre, with many of the interior fittings being given to Stratford's Pioneer Village. 

The courthouse was officially opened on 27 February 1902 by Sir Joseph Ward. The building was one of three public buildings erected

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Oeo Hotel - 1900-01.

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.