Topic: 1 Hau Lane (circa 1870s)

Topic type:

1 Hau Lane 2018

2018 View

The exact history of this cottage is unclear, although based on its style, especially the combination of board and batten construction with four-light double-hung sash windows, a circa 1870s construction date seems probable.

Section 135 of Oakura Township was originally granted to Arthur Harley in 1868, although before the Crown Grant was authorised, Harley sold the section to John Joseph Looney in March 1867. In May 1875, the property was purchased by Mrs Emma Clover, wife of Samuel Clover. In December 1875, advertisements first appear in the Taranaki Herald for S. Clover’s ‘Post Office Store’ at Oakura. It is thought that the store was located on the opposite corner of South Road and Dixon Street, and it is possible that the cottage was constructed about this time as a house for the Clover’s.

In early November 1876, Clover’s “shop, bakehouse, out-buildings” and also a “four-roomed house on the Great South Road” are advertised for sale by land agent T. E, Hammerton. It seems likely that the house referred to in this advertisement is the present cottage at 1 Hau Lane.

See: Taranaki Land Deeds Index I6, page 251

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion