Topic: 'Ashdown Park', 1671 South Road (circa 1860s-70s)

Topic type:

1671 South Road Open2View

Image Courtesy Open2View

The original portion of this home is in the distinctive 'saltbox style' and is thought to have been constructed in the 1860s or 1870s - originally with vertical board and batten cladding. 

Section 88 of Oakura Rural District was originally granted to John ? in October 1868, but before the grant was issued, it was purchased by 'Dingle' in 1866, and on-soon sold to 'Rodgerson'? in August 1867. In 1891 the property was leased to George W. Wareham, who purchased the farm a few years later in 1895. 

The Wareham's were extensively involved in the Okato and Oakura communities, and prior to the Wareham's leavng for Woodville in 1907, the community put on a social at the Oakura Hall to show their gratitude for their hard work over the years.   

See Taranaki Land Deeds Index I6, page 30. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

'Ashdown Park', 1671 South Road (circa 1860s-70s)


City:Oakura