Oakura Buildings

 

Welcome to the Oakura Buildings basket.

If you would like to add images, documents, or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please register with Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.

  

Explore Oakura Buildings in the map below - follow the link to view on the Kete

 

 

 

Oakura Buildings


City:Oakura

Latest 6 topics

Pahitere Blockhouse Close Up 2019.

Pahitere Blockhouse Far View 2019

2019 View: By Hamish Crimp

This building was constructed in 1864, and originally stood atop nearby Pahitere Redoubt as a blockhouse. Pahitere Redoubt was established by Military Settlers under the command of Captain Corbett in early March 1864, following the reoccupation of nearby St Andrews Redoubt. An old pā called Pahitere was reshaped to accommodate the blockhouse, and primitive soldiers huts were dug into the eastern slope; initially soldiers were accommodated in tents on the central platform prior to construction

1 Hau Lane 2018.

1 Hau Lane 2018

2018 View

The exact history of this cottage is unclear, although based on its style, especially the combination of board and batten construction with four-light double-hung sash windows, a circa 1870s construction date seems probable.

Section 135 of Oakura Township was originally granted to Arthur Harley in 1868, although before the Crown Grant was authorised, Harley sold the section to John Joseph Looney in March 1867. In May 1875, the property was purchased by Mrs Emma Clover,

Wareham Homestead 2018.

Wareham Homestead 2018

2018 View

This attractive single-storey villa residence was constructed for George William Wareham and his family in 1883. The house was designed by noted New Plymouth architect James Sanderson, who called for tenders for the erection of a residence at Tapuae for Mr G. W. Wareham during January 1883.

George Wareham and his brother-in-law Frederick Morris had earlier purchased the farm in 1881, with the Morris's initially living across the road in the former Pahitere Blockhouse.

George and Frederick successfully

Honeyfield House 1990s View.

Honeyfield House 1990s View

1990s View NPDC Heritage Study

This attractive Regency style home was the residence of James Charles Honeyfield and his family. The exact construction date is unclear, although it probably dates to the 1850s or 1860s.

James Honeyfield emigrated to New Zealand in the 1850s along with four of his siblings - he initially farmed at Barrett Road, and later shifted to Moturoa, where in January 1864 he married Caroline Barrett, daughter of Dicky (Richard) and Rawinia Barrett.

1671 South Road Open2View.

1671 South Road Open2View

Image Courtesy Open2View

The original portion of this home is in the distinctive 'saltbox style' and is thought to have been constructed in the 1860s or 1870s - originally with vertical board and batten cladding. 

Section 88 of Oakura Rural District was originally granted to John ? in October 1868, but before the grant was issued, it was purchased by 'Dingle' in 1866, and on-soon sold to 'Rodgerson'? in August 1867. In 1891 the property was leased

Oakura Hotel or Butlers Reef Early Ownership History From Taranaki Land Deeds Index.

The first hotel on this site was constructed during late-1865 or early 1866 for owner of Section 180 of Oakura Township, Richard Jury, who was the recipient of the original Crown Grant for the property. The present building on this site was constructed in 1917 for owner Mr James Rothery, with the Licensee at the time being Mr E. A. Meredith. 

The first hotel on this site was a two-storied timber structure clad in horizontal weatherboards and fitted with 12-light double-hung sash windows (PHO2009-369, Puke Ariki). The first mention of a publicans' licence being issued for a hotel at Oakura was

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

1671 South Road Open2View.

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.