Topic: King's Building (1926-27)

Topic type:

King's Building 

Situated on a prominent corner site in the heart of the CBD this three-storied reinforced concrete building has been a city landmark since it was constructed.

The building was repainted in 2010 in sympathetic colours which highlight the decorated panels and friezes.

Two years in the construction, it was completed in November 1927. It was built for Newton King Limited and named after the founder of the company, Newton King. The building permit was issued on 24 March 1926. The local firm Jones and Sandford were the contractors and the estimated cost was £53,000.

Gummer and Ford, the Auckland firm of architects which designed the building, are described in the N.P.D.C. Heritage Study report as 'the pre-eminent architectural practice in New Zealand during the inter-war years.'

Ground floor retail outlets are at present (Dec 2011); Marinovich's Seafood Restaurant and Cafe, Bookstop Gallery, Kingsway Menswear, Hikoi, Mainly Magazines and Lotto, Coinsave. Multiple commercial tenants occupy the first and second floors.

For more information please view the linked items.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion