Topic: BNZ Building 1961 (now Brougham House)

Topic type:

Brougham House (formerly BNZ Building)

This four-storey building on the corner of Brougham Street and Devon Street West was built for the Bank of New Zealand and was officially opened on 8 September 1961. The Bank of New Zealand had occupied the site since 1885 (see linked topic) and after the old building was demolished in 1959, this modern new building was erected. 

It was designed by local architects Harvey & Bowering and the contractors were Fairbrother, Snowden & Wheeler. Construction began shortly after the removal of the old building with the first concrete foundations laid in September 1959 and by October 1960 the roof had been finished. 

The BNZ occupied the basement, ground floor and the mezzanine, with the upper two floors leased out. A caretaker's flat was located on the roof.

Harvey Dunlop bought the building in 2004 and in 2011 the BNZ relocated to premises on Devon Street East. Alterations were undertaken to modernise the ground floor and that same year Stirling Sports shifted from Centre City to the main street. The ground floor is now (2021) occupied by the shared working space, Johnson Corner.

In 2021 the building, now known as Brougham House, was repainted with a "retro-colour" scheme, supported the New Plymouth District Council's CBD building fund. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion