Topic: Sargood, Son & Ewan Building (1896)

Topic type:

Sargood, Son & Ewen Building (Puke Ariki collection)

This building on the corner of Currie and Powderham Streets was built in 1896 for the Australian firm, Sargood, Son & Ewen Ltd. The firm was founded in Melbourne in 1848 and in 1863 set up their first New Zealand branch in Dunedin.

The company had leased premises in Devon street before erecting this building in Currie Street. It was designed by local architect James Sanderson and Mr C.Webberley was in charge of the build. 

In 1901 a second storey was added to the building to meet the increased demand for stock. The Taranaki Herald reported that "Goods will be hoisted to the top floor by means of a hydraulic lift, capable of raising five tons. The lift will shortly be received from Auckland and place in position". The architect was again James Sanderson, while the contractor this time was Mr Steel from Auckland. 

The building was demolished in 1964 to make way for the TNL building - linked.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Sargood, Son & Ewan Building (1896)


City:New Plymouth