Topic: Arnold/White Residence (Former), 33 Mangorei Road (circa 1890s)

Topic type:

33 Mangorei Road

2018 View

This large single storey villa appears to have been constructed in the 1890s, possibly for New Plymouth ironmonger Alfred Hughes Arnold and his family, although land ownership for the later decades of the nineteenth century is somewhat unclear.

Alfred’s wife, Emily, is first listed in electoral rolls as residing on the ‘Hospital Road’ (now Mangorei Road) from 1896, whilst Alfred is simply listed as residing at ‘New Plymouth’ until 1898, when he is listed as residing on the ‘Hospital Road’. The present house is clearly identifiable on DP2316, surveyed in 1904.

Alfred H. Arnold seems to have owned the house until about 1913 when it was sold to Percy James Hoyland White, who had moved to the property from a house in Courtenay St (located on the site of the flats at present 246 Courtenay Street).

33 Mangorei Road Courtesy Wendy Lamanna

Circa mid-twentieth century view of house before subdivision of property: Courtesy of Wendy Lamanna, granddaughter of Percy White

Percy White was associated with the well-known New Plymouth drapery firm of White’s Ltd, and it seems he had a number of alterations made to the house during the 1920s-30s, modernising the house and incorporating features of the then fashionable bungalow style; hence the bow window on the front gable.

Until 1907, the New Plymouth-Wellington railway line passed along the front boundary of the property, which originally extended to present Northgate/Waiwaka Terrace, before later subdivision reduced the section size considerably.

The house was for many years part of Omahanui Private Hospital, but still retains a number of original interior and exterior features.

References: Taranaki Land Deed Indexes I5 page 583; CT TN58/122; DP2316

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Arnold/White Residence (Former), 33 Mangorei Road (circa 1890s)


City:New Plymouth