Topic: National Bank of New Zealand 1884

Topic type:

National Bank of New Zealand (Puke Ariki collection, WD.017151)

                                      National Bank of New Zealand (Puke Ariki collection, WD.017151)

The National Bank of New Zealand first opened a branch in New Plymouth in April 1873. These first premises were in Devon Street - where the Deare's Building is located - and in 1878 the bank purchased a section on the south-east corner of Brougham and Devon Streets.

Construction of the building above for the National Bank of New Zealand on this section began in April 1884.

The two-storey building was designed by Auckland architect, Mr D. Ross. The contractor was Mr James A. Johnston of Whanganui, with the local architect James Sanderson overseeing the project on behalf of Mr Ross. The budget for the build (including fittings) was set at £2,000. 

The ground floor was reserved for banking business as well as accomodation for some staff. The upper floor was set to have eight offices - leased out - and with a separate entrance from Brougham Street.  

The building was demolished prior to the construction of a new building in the late 1930s. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

National Bank of New Zealand 1884


City:New Plymouth