Topic: Lion Tavern 1970 (cnr Egmont and St Aubyn Streets)

Topic type:

Lion Tavern 1970 

Located on the corner of St Aubyn Street and Egmont Street, this Lion Tavern opened for business on 6 August 1970. It was described as catering for the "discerning drinker" with the private and lounge bars offering "comfort and privacy." The public bar on the ground floor was designed to cater for 90 patrons.

The building was designed by a team of architects from New Zealand Breweries and cost $190,000. It was built by Jones & Sandford Ltd. 

Later Bond & Bond converted the Lion Tavern into a retail outlet. The building was demolished in 2002 to make way for the construction of the Waterfront Hotel.

It was the third 'hotel' on the site, replacing the Grosvenor which had burnt to the ground in 1959. The Grosvenor (built in 1903) had replaced the Commonwealth Hotel (1901) which had only lasted a year before also being destoyed in a fierce blaze.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion