Topic: Wilson Residence, 14 Octavius Place (1919)

Topic type:

A permit was granted to Alfred Smith on June 21st 1919 for the construction of a residence on Part Town Sections 1286 & 1287 in Octavius Place - Jones & Sandford were the builders and the house had an estimated construction cost of £910.

This house is thought to have been the first dwelling constructed by New Plymouth firm Jones & Sandford.

Smith sold the property to Thomas Willson in July 1922 (who also purchased neighbouring 53 Buller Street at the same time), with Wilson listed as residing at the Octavius Place property until the 1943 edition of Wises Post Office Directory.

The house was aquired by Chalmers rest home in the 1960s and aerial photographs show the house was moved to the rear of the section during the soon after. The house is still visible at the rear of the section in 1993, but appears to have been one of three houses removed from the site in 1997 when Chalmers undertook major renovations.

It is presently unknown where the house was relocated.

See: Taranaki Land Deeds Index I3 page 15; I13 page 394; I11 page 129; The Daily News, 14 October 1997, page 17

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion