Topic: 688 Junction Road (circa 1888)

Topic type:

688 Junction Road 2019

2019 View: By Hamish Crimp

This board and batten clad twin gabled cottage was very likely constructed by/for George Frankland during 1888.

Frankland purchased Section 19 of the Hua & Waiw[h]akaiho Hundred from J. Provis during late-November 1887. At the time of sale the section is thought to have been vacant, with the house likely constructed soon after.

The house is architecturally significant as one of the last cottages in western Taranaki constructed with vertical board and batten cladding. Used as a cladding material since the early period of European settlement in the 1840s, board and batten cladding was rarely used on new urban buildings from the late-1860s and early-1870s onwards, but continued to be used in rural areas up until the 1880s. 

Little is known about Frankland's time at the Junction Road farm, but in February 1889 it was reported in the Taranaki Herald that "Mr George Frankland of Junction Road" had donated two peafowls (a male and a female) to the New Plymouth Hospital; these birds were released into the extensive hospital grounds. 

From early-December 1889 Frankland advertised the property for sale, it being described as:

A nice homestead for sale, on the Junction Road, 6 miles fiom town, and the same distance from Inglewood. The house is new, well built, lined throughout with red pine, and varnished; contains eight rooms, lobby 18ft x 6ft, front verandah 42ft x 6ft, dairy, &c. tanks, well, and other conveniences. Barn, cattle and trap sheds, pigstyes, and other outbuildings. The farm contains 110 acres of good rolling land, is well watered, and divided into paddocks. A large portion has been recently laid down in the best grasses. The purchaser may take, at a low valuation, all or any portion of the carefully selected stock, implements, &c. Close inspection invited. G. Frankland, owner and occupier.

This advertisement almost certainly refers to the present house on the property, with the dimensions given matching those of the extant building.

It took a few months for the property to sell and it wasn't until April 1890 that it was purchased George Walker, who remained the owner for some time.

See: Taranaki Land Deeds Index I2 page 482; CT TN65/42; Taranaki Herald, 16 February 1889, page 2; Taranaki Herald, 6 December 1889, page 3

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion