Topic: Knight Residence, 10 Simons Street (1924)

Topic type:

This attractive bungalow residence was constructed for plasterer George Knight in 1924 - it was originally located at 269 Courtenay Street and relocated to its present site in 1971.

A permit for the construction of a house on Town Section 2058 Courtenay Street, was granted to George Knight by the New Plymouth Borough Council on August 20th 1924 - Jones and Sandford were listed as the builders and the estimated construction cost was £1500. It seems likely George completed the exterior stucco plastering himself.

George Knight is listed as residing in the house until the early 1940s, with inspector Cecil D. Graham the occupier during the mid-late 1940s, and plasterer Robert Knight (presumably George's son), occupying the house during the 1950s.

In 1971 the house was relocated to its present site at 10 Simons Street by Devon Lodge Holdings Ltd to make way for extensions to the Devon Motor Lodge (The Devon Hotel).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion