Topic: West End School Special Classroom (1930)

Topic type:

West End School Special Classroom 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This building was constructed in 1930 as a special education classroom. It is significant as a 'Taranaki Type Free Air Classroom', and was designed by Taranaki Education Board architect Charles Howard Moore. This type of classroom was claimed to be an improvement on the earlier 'Fendalton Type Free Air Classroom'.

West End School first opened in 1884 at a site on the southwestern corner of St Aubyn Street and Cutfield Road - the school moved to its present site in 1926-27.

All other old buildings on the school site have now been demolished, and the special education classroom is significant as the oldest surviving building associated with West End School.

See: Stratford Evening Post, 23 May 1930, page 3

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion