Topic: 61 Lemon Street (circa 1929)

Topic type:

This bungalow was originally located at 17 Leach Street (New World Supermarket Carpark), and was relocated to its present position by then owner Leo Bridgeman in 1991. At this time neighbouring 15 Leach Street was also reloacted to its present site at 59 Lemon Street.

Blacksmith Robert Henry (Bob) Sole was the owner of Town Section 958 (the original Leach Street site of the dwellings) from 1899 until the 1940s, and had two bungalows constructed on the property during the 1920s-30s.

However, only one permit for the construction of a dwelling on Town Section 958 can be found in the NPBC permit books - this was granted to R. H. Sole on 30th January 1929, with Boon Bros as the contractors and an estimated construction cost of £1000. It seems likely that this permit relates to the constructon of the present dwelling; although the use of rusticated boarding is unusal for a house constructed in 1929. 

See: Taranaki Land Deeds Index I13, page 324; DP6023

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion