Topic: 59 Lemon Street (circa 1930s)

Topic type:

This bungalow was originally located at 15 Leach Street (New World Supermarket Carpark), and was relocated to its present position by then owner Leo Bridgeman in 1991. At this time neighbouring 17 Leach Street was also reloacted to its present site at 61 Lemon Street.

Blacksmith Robert Henry (Bob) Sole was the owner of Town Section 958 (the original Leach Street site of the dwellings) from 1899 until the 1940s, and had two bungalows constructed on the property during the 1920s-30s.

However, only one permit for the construction of a dwelling on Town Section 958 can be found in the NPBC permit books - this was granted to R. H. Sole on 30th January 1929, with Boon Bros as the contractors and an estimated construction cost of £1000. It seems likley this permit relates to the constructon of the larger house now located at 17 Leach Street.

On June 19th 2011, a tornado ripped the entire roof off the house - the damage was subsequently repaired.

See: Taranaki Land Deeds Index I13, page 324; DP6023

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion