Topic: Thomson Residence, 215 Devon Street West (1915)

Topic type:

215 Devon Street West 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This early bungalow was originally constructed for Ronald Paul in 1915, although it was later sold to C. H. Thomson, and remained in the Thomson family for many decades. 

Paul purchased Town Section 246 in 1913, and had the present home constructed in early 1915 - a permit was granted to M. Casey on 20 April 1915 for the construction of a residence on Town Sections 243-244 (should be Section 246) Devon Street West - the estimated construction cost was £843. Casey was the contractor on the build (Messrs Casey and Bull), and seems to have taken ownership of the property during construction.

A day after the permit was granted, tenders were called for "plumbing, bricklaying, painting, electric lighting, joinery and drainage" - tenderers were to enquire "on job, No. 157 Devon Street West" (old numbering).

The home used a new form of foundations, consisting of 'Acme' concrete foundation blocks for wooden houses, - advertisements encouraged those interested in this new form of foundation to view them at Mr Paul's new house in course of construction on Devon Street. 

The property was purchased by 'medical practitioner' C. H. Thomson in December 1921, and the property seems to have remained in the Thomson family until at least the 1980s. 

See Taranaki Land Deeds Index I5, pages 162 and 349. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Thomson Residence, 215 Devon Street West (1915)


City:New Plymouth