Welcome to the Manaia Buildings basket.

If you would like to add images, documents, or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please register with Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.

Latest 4 topics

Manaia Post Office .

Manaia Post Office

The two-storey Manaia Post Office sits prominently in the centre of the small town, a landmark since its opening in 1912. 

It was designed by the Government architect, John Campbell, who was also responsible for Parliament Buildings , the Public Trust Office in Wellington, the Dunedin Law Courts and many others during his 20 years in the position. The contractor was A.B. Burrell from Hawera and the cost £3,333.  

The foundation stone was laid on 1 May 1911 by the Minister of

Bank of Australasia (Manaia).

Bank Of Australasia 1924-25 (Manaia)

This two-storey building, located at 58 South Road, was built in 1924-25 for the Bank of Australasia. The contractor was Mr G.H. Mason from Taumaranui and it was designed by the Wellington firm, Atkins and Mitchell.

The Hawera & Normanby Star described the building in some detail on 17 July 1924 (linked). As well as the usual banking amenities, accomodation was provided for a staff of seven. Construction was set to begin "in about three weeks' time"

Waimate Hotel.

Waimate Hotel 

The Waimate Hotel in Manaia was built in 1903 by Messrs Jno. Ryan and Sons. The architect was Mr. John Willing Warren of Stratford. (Plans in the Puke Ariki collection ARC2003-1021)

The attached Heritage Inventory report has a list of former publicans.

It was destroyed in a blaze which is thought to have started about 4.13 am on 29 February 2016.

(Several sources put 1906 as the year it was built; the attached newspaper report makes the earlier date of 1903 more likely)

                                                          Waimate Hotel November 2018

img

Manaia Grandstand.

Manaia Grandstand 

Manaia Grandstand & Clubrooms  - 1909-2006

This grandstand at the Manaia Domain was built by local carpenter L.G. Neilson in 1909 for £173.

It was superseded by a new stand in the late 1980s. By 2005 it had become derelict and was removed in early 2006.

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Mr C.H.Mitchell visits Hawera & Manaia (Hawera & Normanby Star 18 January 1924).

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.