Topic: 32 Matai Street (1894-95)

Topic type:

32 Matai Street 2018

2018 View: By Hamish Crimp

This two-storied wooden commercial building was constructed for Mr William H. Franklyn in 1894-95 to replace his buildings destroyed in the devasting fire of 14th October 1894, that engulfed all the buildings between the Inglewood Hotel and the old Bank of New Zealand on the west side of Matai Street (then Mountain Road). 

The present building contains two shop premises, although it was originally double this size, with the northern portion since demolished. 

The southern shop in the remaining portion seems to have been occupied by a bakery for much of its early life. It was operated by Edward Lever until November 1896, when the business was purchased by A. Lile. On 21 October 1903, Mr Smith, from Auckland, took posession of the bakery business, and held ownership until 1910, when Mr Cramer took over. R. Pennington opened a drapery and boot store in the northern-most surviving shop on 1 March 1897. 

The present building can be seen in an 1896 painting of Inglewood by C. Aubrey.

Full restoration of the facade would greatly enhance the heritage and streetscape values of the building.

As a pre-1900 building, any alterations to the structure, or earthworks on the section, may require archaeological authority from Heritage New Zealand.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

32 Matai Street (1894-95)


City:Inglewood