Topic: Inglewood Railway Hotel (1876)

Topic type:


Inglewood Railway Hotel 2018

2018 View: By Hamish Crimp

The former Railway Hotel is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Inglewood, and was constructed in late 1876 as a general store for Mr William Carter. However, the building was too large for Carter's general store, and he soon relocated to a smaller building on Moa Street.

In May 1877, J. S. Dobbin, who had opened a commercial private hotel in a small building on Richmond Street in October 1876, transferred his hotel licence to the present building, and renamed it the Railway Hotel. With many different owners and proprietors, the Railway Hotel remained an Inglewood institution for over 130 years, before finally closing as a hotel in 2014; it is now occupied by a liquor store.

The building has had many alterations, although the original 1876 structure still remains - a notable addition in circa 1900, was an attractive wrap-around veranda, although this was later removed. The hotel has also been extended along its Rata Street frontage at some stage - possibly in 1891, when tenders were called for "additions and alterations to the Railway Hotel, Inglewood". Currently, the building has plaster cladding over it's original weatherboards, although many of the original first floor windows remain.  

Moa Street Inglewood, Supplement to the Auckland Weekly News, 14 August 1902

Moa Street Inglewood showing Railway Hotel following addition of veranda, Supplement to the Auckland Weekly News, 14 August 1902

The building is on a prominent corner site, and is located within a precinct with a number of 1870s-1900s commercial buildings - such an association is now rare in New Plymouth District. Full restoration of the facade to its original state would greatly enhance the aesthetic and heritage values of this historic building.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Inglewood Railway Hotel (1876)