Welcome to the Inglewood Buildings basket.
If you would like to add images, documents, or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please register with Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.
Purangi Boarding House - 1974
The Purangi boarding house was built by Frederick W Pennington in1900 and operated for some years as a general store as well.
One front room was used as the local school until the official school was built in 1909.
The derelict building was demolished after it was seriously damaged in the massive 1990 flood in which the Waitara River rose to indundate all of the flat land of the valley.
Inglewood Technical School - Scout & Guide Hall
Photograph: Feb 1992
Building of the Inglewood Technical School began in mid-1910 after a long and fraught fund-raising campaign.The school was officially opened on 6 April 1911 by Harold Trimble, an Education Board member (See TDN report in Documents below)
By 1912 classes in "physiology and first aid, through millinery, dress-making, art, drawing, book-keeping, arithmetic, down to carpentry and joinery" were being advertised.
Originally, New Zealand's technical schools were for education beyond primary school
Inglewood Saleyards - 1992
The Farmers' Co-operative Organisation Society Ltd (FCOS) opened their saleyards at Inglewood in June 1916. (see TDN report in Documents below). They operated in opposition to the established yards of Matthews & Gamlin (est 1908 and sited at the Dudley/Mountain Road intersection}taken over in April 1916 by Newton King Ltd .
The FCOS yards operated for 86 years and, as Taranaki Farmers, held their final sale in November 2002 (See TDN report in Documents below).For many years the roadside dairy shed was a centre of stock saledays at Inglewood.
Built in 1909 for Herbert B.Curtis and designed by New Plymouth architect, Frank Messenger. Curtis was Mayor of Inglewood from 1907-1910.
When first built, the building was known as the Shoe Store Building. On the ground floor was a bookstore and the law practice of Harold Thompson. Thompson was the apprehender of the infamous New Plymouth "Highwayman", Robert Wallath. The Inglewood Club occupied the upper floor of the building.
In the early hours of 7 January 1999 fire broke out in the western section of the building. The large blaze destroyed
This building on the south-side of Rata Street was built for Robert Barr Young. Young used a WWI Returned Soldier's loan to help pay for the building, which was probably built in the early 1920s. He set up business as a tailor on the ground floor and rented out the upper storey. When he left to live in New Plymouth in the 1950s the ground floor shop was first a tearoom, and then a fish shop. Robert Young died on 29 March, 1961, aged 71.
Part of the upper storey was