Topic: Pou at Turuturu-Mokai Pā

Topic type:

Pou at Turuturu-Mokai Pā

This carved pou was erected on the upper platform of Turuturu-Mokai pā on 12 July 1938. A whakanoa (ceremony) to remove the tapu from the pā site was held at the same time. 

There were two ceremonies on the day, one led by Pouwhareumu Toi (Wereweri pā) and the other by Tonga Awhika (Ngarongo pā). Only two pākehā were present on the day, Mr J.E. Campbell (Mayor of Hāwera) and the respected historian John Houston. 

The pou was carved by Henare Toka (Taiporohenui pā), described in the Auckland Star (16 July 1938) as, "in a design purely of ancient Taranaki origin and significance, the original being a carving in the Dominion museum (now Te Papa Tongarewa) at Wellington".

The pā site and the neighbouring pā site of Te Umu-a-Tongahake are currently under the guardianship of Ngati Tupaia.   

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion