Topic: Glenn Road Weir (Kaupokonui)

Topic type:

Kaupokonui Weir

The Glenn Road Weir was constructed in 1941 as a replacement to the for the original weir (1900) to drive a turbine that powered the Kaupokonui Dairy Factory, store and company buildings nearby. It was built by Alois (Lou) Butler, of Inglewood, a well-known bridge builder, engineer and inventor - this was his first, and possibly only, dam.

It continued to operate until 1960-61 when an alternative supply was provided by by the South Taranaki Electric Power Board. 

In 2008 discussions began between the Taranaki Regional Council, Fish and Game, Department of Conservation, Historic Places Trust (now Heritage New Zealand) and the South Taranaki District Council regarding the future of the historic weir. It was accepted that the existing fish pass was inadequate, but the considerable heritage value of the weir, together with the dairy factory complex, prompted the Historic Places Trust to resist attempts to have the weir demolished.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Glenn Road Weir (Kaupokonui)


City:Kaupokonui