Topic: Urenui River Swing Bridge - 1990

Topic type:

Off Epiha Street, Urenui

Urenui Swing Bridge

Urenui River Swing Bridge

There have been several bridges on or near this site. The first, a wooden structure below the present swing bridge, was built in the late 1860s or 70s and is shown in a map of the township lithographed in 1880. (See Documents below) This bridge, reportedly riddled with ship-worm, eventually fell into the river about 1882. The first swing bridge was opened in 1900 but partially collapsed in 1911  when a wire broke with "about 30 or 40 men and boys on it watching the game [of water polo] when, without warning, the bridge collapsed, turning on its side and sending all on it into the water." (Taranaki Daily News, 7 Feb 1911 - see Document below) This bridge was, apparently, renewed in 1928 but it was damaged by a flood in1990 and was replaced by the present structure.

Some of the remaining wooden piles of the first bridge may be seen a few metres downstream of the present swing bridge (See Images below)

The swing bridge crosses to the Urenui Golf Course and the nearby Te Rangi Hiroa (Sir Peter Buck) Birthplace cairn (See Topics below)

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Tags: HSF_Bridge

Urenui River Swing Bridge - 1990


City:Urenui
Urenui River Swing Bridge - 1990 by Ron L is Copyright Act 1994