Topic: Dr G. A. Harrison Memorial Gates - 1918

Topic type:

Taumata Park, Park Street, Eltham

Dr Harrison Memorial Gates 

Dr G A Harrison Memorial Gates

Inscription on both pillar plaques.

SACRED

TO

THE MEMORY OF GEORGE ALFRED

HARRISON, M.R.C.S.

LONDON,  L..R.C.P.

ENGLAND.

WHO DID GOOD AND

FAITHFUL WORK IN

THE RELIEF OF

SUFFERING, IN

THIS DISTRICT, FOR

MANY YEARS,

AND DIED 23RD

FEBRUARY 1913.

The gates were officially opened by Eltham's Mayor, T B Crump, during the town's Peace Celebrations on 13 November 1918.

" Dr G A Harrison came to Eltham from England in 1894 and commenced practice.He travelled about the district in a horse and buggy later driven by a groom. Early in October 1898 when returning home from a call at Mangatoki, his horse reared and threw tself, the buggy and the doctor into a stream 20 feet below.....Dr Harrison became a highly-respected figure in the district because of his confident and cheerful nature.

In February 1913 a prick from a safety pin to his thumb at his cottage hospital in King Edward Street proved fatal. With the resulting death of Dr Harrison,[aged 46] the whole town went into mourning and a short time later Memorial Gates were erected at the eastern entrance to Taumata Park.

From: Standish, Russell, Eltham - One Hundred Years, 1984

See Harrison's Obituary in Documents below.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Dr G. A. Harrison Memorial Gates - 1918


City:Eltham
Dr G. A. Harrison Memorial Gates - 1918 by Ron L is Copyright Act 1994