Topic: Site of Koru Monastery - c1869

Topic type:

Koru Road, Oakura. (Left-hand roadside c3.7 km from SH 45)

Koru Monastery Sign 

Koru Monastery Sign

The plaque was unveiled on 18 October 1997 (see Document below).

Text on Sign

Site of Koru Monastery  c1869 

The monastery was built by Father John

Baptiste Rolland of unpainted horizontal

weatherboard

It was about 18 metres long and 9 metres wide with

a verandah extending around three sides.

Closed c1874, it was destroyed by fire in 1915 while being

used as a farmhouse by the Mace family.

 

Confirmed Burials in an unmarked cemetery nearby are:

Carpenter, still born daughter of John & Hannah    d 08.10.1868

Marin, Brother Elias Regis                 d 30.04.1872

Carpenter, still born son of John & Hannah     d 07.07.1872

Carpenter, Hannah              30 yrs   d 21.06.1873

Carpenter, 4 day old infant of John & Hannah   d 22.06.1873

Kehely, Mary          55 yrs    d 05.07.1876

Hamlin, James         14 mths   d 10.02.1879

Madgwick, Ellen         47 yrs   d 12.06.1891

                                 NP West Rotary Club

_______

The monastery was built within the surveyed small township of Koru - but the settlement never eventuated.

A public hall was also built in the 'township' in the 1890s. it was demolished about 1998 (See Topic below)

See Documents below for more detailed histories of the monastery.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Site of Koru Monastery - c1869


City:Oakura
Site of Koru Monastery - c1869 by Ron L is Copyright Act 1994