Topic: Pukeiti Lodge - 1954/1961

Topic type:

Pukeiti Rhododendron Gardens, 2290 Carrington Road, Pukeiti

Pukeiti Lodge

Pukeiti Lodge 

The Pukeiti Rhododendron Trust was formed by Russell Matthews and Douglas Cook in 1951.

The Lodge was built by volunteers in 1953-54 as a clubroom for Trust members, accomodation for the on-site curator and a workshop for volunteers.

It was opened on 16 October 1954 by the Hon E. B. Corbett, Minister of Lands and M.P. for Egmont. (See Documents below)

The Lodge was extended in 1961 to include a kitchen and dining room for members and electricity was laid on.

Since 2010 the gardens at Pukeiti have been administered and maintained by the Taranaki Regional Council.

The elegant, but badly deteriorated, 1950s Lodge was demolished in 2016-17 and replaced soon after.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Pukeiti Lodge - 1954/1961


City:Pukeiti
Pukeiti Lodge - 1954/1961 by Ron is Copyright Act 1994