Settler's Memorial -Tikorangi Lizzie Bell Memorial Harriett Anchor Wendy Statue Waingongoro River Bridge Gas Light, St Mary's Eltham Field Gun

Browse Heritage Sites and Features

 

This Kete records some of the many heritage sites and historic features in Taranaki.

Here are to be found plaques and sites recalling prominent members of our communities, significant events or technological innovations of the time.

Extra information on each site may be included in the attached Documents, Topics or Weblinks.

 

Explore Taranaki heritage sites and features on the map below

Latest 10 topics

Water Trough, State Highway 45.

Water Trough, State Highway 45

This concrete water trough sits just off State Highway 45, near the old Riverdale Dairy factory. 

According to the Outer Hāwera Heritage Inventory, it was possibly installed in the 1880s although there are no records to confirm this. It's likely that it was used by horses delivering milk to the Riverdale factory and later as a source of water for cooling boiling radiators in the early days of motor cars. 

A plaque mounted on the outside of the tough was presented to the South

Harriet Anchor.

Harriet Anchor

The anchor from the barque Harriet, which founded off the Taranaki coast in 1834, was recovered in 1969 by the Gibson family. According to one of the party that found the anchor, Willie Gibson, his father had first seen the anchor many years before this. However, it had subsequently been covered by shifting sand and it was not until 1969 that it reappeared. 

A group of four men pulled the anchor back to their homestead on a sledge attached to their tractor. It was then taken to

Waitotara Hotel.

Waitotara Hotel 

On 26 June 1924 the sixteen-room Waitotara Hotel was destroyed in a blaze that began about 10.00 pm. Fortunately, a strong northerly wind saved the township itself from any damage.

Work began on a replacement hotel (above) in October 1924, designed by Whanganui architect, Thomas James. The hotel was expected to be finished by March 1925 and while construction was taking place the lessee of the hotel, Joseph Mills, was granted permission to carry on business in temporary premises. 

An advertisement in the Hawera Star on 6 February

Founders Plantation Commemoration (Waimea Street Reserve).

Founders Plantation Plaque 1991

The Waimea Street Reserve was chosen as the site for a commemoration of 150 years since the first Plymouth Company ship arrived in New Plymouth. On 5 June 1991 the then mayor, David Lean, unveiled the Founders Plantation Plaque and 1,991 native trees were planted.

Individuals, families, clubs and businesses were able to sponser a tree at a cost of $40 each. The two large cylindrical-shaped installations near the plaque record the names of those who donated trees to the project. There is also a small

Pou at Turuturu-Mokai Pā.

Pou at Turuturu-Mokai Pā

This carved pou was erected on the upper platform of Turuturu-Mokai pā on 12 July 1938. A whakanoa (ceremony) to remove the tapu from the pā site was held at the same time. 

There were two ceremonies on the day, one led by Pouwhareumu Toi (Wereweri pā) and the other by Tonga Awhika (Ngarongo pā). Only two pākehā were present on the day, Mr J.E. Campbell (Mayor of Hāwera) and the respected historian John Houston. 

The pou was carved by Henare Toka (Taiporohenui pā), described in

City-County Boundary Markers (Tukapa Street).

City-County Boundary Markers (Tukapa Street)

This boundary marker is located on the east-side of Tukapa Street between 345 and 347 Tukapa Street. There is a similar post on the other side of the road. 

It's likely they were placed here in 1960 when Hurdon was added to the New Plymouth City environs and these markers indicate the location where administration changed to what was then known as the Taranaki County Council.

New Plymouth was constituted a borough in 1876 after 24 years of Provincial Government. The boundaries of the

Hollard Memorial Rock.

Hollard Memorial Rock 

Hollard Gardens are located on Upper Manaia Road, near Kaponga. This memorial rock, located in the gardens, is a tribute to the founders Bernie and Rose Hollard. 

The ten-tonne rock was donated by Charlie Matthews and Kaponga artist, Roger Morris, sculpted the rock into the shape seen today. It was lifted into place in December 1999, with the artist expecting the work to take about 12 months.

In 1926 the Hollard's took over the family farm near Kaponga and set about creating a beautiful garden. By the 1970s it was open

Plymouth Company Ships Plaque.

Plymouth Company Ships Plaque

This plaque was unveiled by then New Plymouth mayor, Andrew Judd, on 6 August 2015. It is located near the wind wand on the coastal walkway, close to the small bridge over the Huatoki Stream

The plaque commemorates the arrival of the six Plymouth Company ships which arrived in New Plymouth between 1841 and 1843. The first two vessels (William Bryan & Amelia Thompson) anchored off the beach at Ngāmotu, while the next four landed passengers and cargo near the mouth of

Sewer Gas Vent.

Sewer Gas Vent

In 1927 the New Plymouth Borough engineer, Mr William Alfred Clarence Clarke, designed a comprehensive sewerage scheme to replace an antiquated system that had been operational since 1904. 

The system comprised 72km of gravity fed tunnels that led to two holding tanks below Eliot Street. Eventually the effluent (by now mainly liquid) was discharged straight into the sea via an outlet pipe at the end of Eliot Street. 

The system was completed in 1933 at a cost of $317,000 and was

Honeyfield Seat.

Honeyfield Seat 

Nestled on the overgrown northern slopes of the Ngāmotu Domain is the now neglected and vandalised Honeyfield Seat. The plaque reads "Presented by Mr and Mrs W. Honeyfield 9th December1925". 

The domain was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr F.E.Wilson, on 28 November 1925. Although there was no mention of the Honeyfield Seat in the opening day report an earlier article (TH 26 November 1925) indicated that the seat had been erected. The 9 December 1925 date on the plaque may

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Sign.

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.