Topic: C.C. Ward Ltd Building - Hāwera (1936)

Topic type:

C.C. Ward Ltd. Building (Hāwera)

This two-storey building on High Street in Hāwera was erected in 1936 for the New Plymouth-based drapery firm, C.C. Ward Ltd. 

On 8 July 1935 advertisements appeared in the Hawera Star asking for applications for space in the new "Business Building" to be erected by C.C. Ward Ltd. in High Street. The statement that "special requirements for approved tenants may be incorporated into the design" indicates that final plans had not been drawn up as yet. Underneath this advertisement was another one requesting expressions of interest in leasing the present building occupied by C.C. Ward and that it would be available "early in 1936".

Two months later on 13 September 1935 (Hawera Star) as part of a more general article about building progress in Hāwera the planned new C.C. Ward building was mentioned with excitement at the prospect of "underground tearooms, designed on the most modern lines and comparable with any high-class city establishment.". Also noted was a possible delay in construction, "Work in connection with this scheme, if not commenced immediately, will be delayed until the New Year".

The building was finally finished and opened for business in July 1936. It was described in the Taranaki Daily News (11 July 1936) as being of "...the latest design, absolutely earthquake proof, and occupies one of the largest floor spaces of any shop between Wanganui and New Plymouth". It was noted that Mr. R.C. Dudding would be running a "cake shop and tearooms" in the building, but perhaps not the 'underground' arrangement as suggested earlier.

It was designed and built by the Hāwera based firm Arthur Brown.  

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion