Topic: White Hart Hotel (Former Empire Hotel) cnr Princes & High Streets

Topic type:

White Hart Hotel (Hawera)

The White Hart Hotel is located on the corner of High & Princes Streets in Hāwera. The site has been home to a hotel since 1876 when Thomas Lloyd opened the Empire Hotel.

The building above was built in 1909 and at this time was still known as the Empire Hotel. It was designed by Hāwera architect J.E.Rowe and the contractors were Messrs Haines & McAneny.

The hotel was renamed 'White Hart' in 1923 by the then publican James Nichol Anderson. In 1931 alterations were made to the ground floor bars and the balcony enclosed with a roof. These changes were designed by prominent Hāwera architects Duffill & Gibson. 

The White Hart Hotel is still (2021) operating as a sports bar, restaurant, gaming lounge and offers accommodation. 

(Source: Heritage New Zealand List Report, Joanna Barnes-Wylie, 11 June 2020)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

White Hart Hotel (Former Empire Hotel) cnr Princes & High Streets


City:Hawera