Topic: Hawera Foundries Building 1928

Topic type:

Hawera Foundries Building 1928

This two-storey building at 6-8 Union Street was erected in 1928 for Hawera Foundries. The company is described in the Hawera Town Centre Heritage Inventory as a "holding company whose business was elsewhere". 

The building was designed by well-known Hawera architects Duffill & Gibson - plans held by Puke Ariki (ARC2004-822). The contractor was Arthur M. Brown.

The building receives particular praise in the heritage inventory as, "a good commercial building of the late 1920s, which has heritage value for the fact that is has remained virtually unaltered in its exterior appearance. The originality extends to the shop fronts which are tiled and have lead-light windows; period shop fronts such as these are very rare."

As the study also notes they form part of a group of buildings of a similar age and style, creating a valuable heritage building streetscape. Although it should be noted that the 1920s style building visible to the right of this building in the 1997 heritage inventory photograph has since been demolished.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion