Topic: Taranaki Daily News Building (1932)

Topic type:

Taranaki Newspapers Ltd. Building (Hawera)

This two-storey building at 187 High Street was erected in 1932 for the Taranaki Daily News. It was designed by prominent Hawera architects Duffill & Gibson and the plans are held by Puke Ariki (ARC2005-53). 

The architect's plans and a photo taken in 1957 (linked) show that the original name on the facade was "Taranaki Daily News", this was probably altered after Taranaki Newspapers Limited (TNL) was formed in 1962.

According to the Hawera Town Centre Heritage Inventory entry (linked) the premises remained in use by the Daily News (later TNL) until the 1990s when they began sharing offices with the Hawera Star in Regent Street. At this time the building was converted into Unka's Jewellers Shop.

The building is described in the Heritage Inventory as displaying, "modest townscape value for its scale and art deco decoration, and architectural value as the work of the locally important practice of Duffill and Gibson". 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion