Topic: J. G. Osborne & Co Building (1918-19)

Topic type:

J. G. Osborne & Co Building 2020

2020 View

This attractive single-storey reinforced concrete building was constructed during 1918-19 for J. G. Osborne & Co (who leased the property from Nolan, Tonks & Co) and replaced an earlier two-storied timber auction mart constructed for R. H. Nolan & Co in 1881.

The principal Regent Street elevation is designed in a stripped Classical style being finished with both stucco plaster and smooth cement render and decorated with moulded geometric designs in relief. The building was designed by Hawera architects Duffill & Gibson, with the main contractor for the construction of the building being Mr S. Lockhart, also of Hawera.

This building, along with another two buildings to the south, were later occupied by the Farmers Co-Op Organisation Society of New Zealand for a number of decades.

The building is scheduled to be demolished to make way for the new Hawera library and cultural centre, Te Ramanui o Ruapūtahanga. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

J. G. Osborne & Co Building (1918-19)


City:Hawera