Topic: 121 High Street (1901)

Topic type:

121 High Street 2020

2020 View

This two-storied brick and timber building was constructed for Messrs Nolan, Tonks & Co to replace several circa 1870s buildings damaged by a fire which occured on February 22nd 1901.

The new building was completed during late-October or early-November 1901 and was designed by architects Warren and Stephenson. The building was described as being a “very handsome addition to the architecture of the town”, the first floor facade being “finished with two light sashes, with heavy pilasters and frames, Ionic columns and caps, cornices, string courses, pediment and balustrade topped with a flag-pole and carved brackets”.

The “handsome” ground floor veranda comprised a bull-nosed iron roof supported by cast iron posts and brackets, with four “Ballinger’s patent” skylights providing additional light to the shopfronts. The ground floor was divided into three shops, and upstairs there were six offices. The main contractor for the building was Albert Arthur Pickett, with joinery turned out by Messrs Twigg and Co and plumbing completed by Messrs Smart Bros.

Whilst much of the structure and window joinery remains, the principal High Street Facade has been stripped of most of its original detailing. The building is scheduled to be demolished to make way for the new Hawera library and cultural centre, Te Ramanui o Ruapūtahanga. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion