Topic: Bank of New South Wales 1910 (Princes Street)

Topic type:

Bank of New South Wales 1910

The section this two-storey building stands on was purchased by the Bank of New South Wales in 1875 for £25. The building above was built in 1910 at a cost of £2,920. 

It is described in the Hāwera Town Centre Heritage Inventory as "a very competent piece of classical design by a nationally known firm of architects, Crighton and McKay. It has remained relatively unaltered in its main elevation, giving it remarkable authenticity for a commercial building of this age."

The inventory also notes that this building marks the end of a row of Princes Street heritage buildings that it calls "unsurpassed in Taranaki and which has national importance."

Renovations were carried out in 1958 and 1964. At the time the heritage inventory was published (1997) the building was occupied by a Chinese restaurant and modifications had again been made. Present use (2020) is unknown.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Bank of New South Wales 1910 (Princes Street)


City:Hāwera