Topic: Egmont Agricultural & Pastoral Association Building (1923)

Topic type:

Egmont A & P Association Building 

This single storey brick building was erected in 1923 by the firm Hobbs & Baker. The Hawera & Normanby Star reported (30 October 1922) on a general meeting of the Egmont A & P Assn. where it was decided not to engage the architects Duffill & Gibson, but instead to accept the tender (£1797) of Messrs Hobbs & Baker for the construction of the building.  

In 1994 the building was demolished to make way for a supermarket. However the facade on Nelson Street was left intact until May 2019, when it too was demolished to make way for a supermarket carpark.

The facade was listed in the Hawera Town Centre Heritage Inventory, but had no legal protection. In the heritage inventory entry (attached) conservation architect, Chris Cochran, writes "...its plain brick architecture, interesting for its colour, shapes and proportions, is a welcome streetscape asset in an area of town dominated by carparks and industrial buildings".

The bricks were saved and are being used to build a wall on the street frontage of a new subdivision in Hawera on Burnside Ave - site of the old Hawera Hospital.

For more about the Egmont Agricultural & Pastoral Association Inc.:

Centennial History of the Egmont Agricultural and Pastoral Association Inc. 1883 - 1983, edited by K.S.Bourke. (TRCT630.62 CEN)

125 Years of the Egmont Agriculture and Pastoral Association Inc.: A Story of an Agricultural Show 1883 - 2008, Arthur Fryer (TRCT630.6 FRY)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Egmont Agricultural & Pastoral Association Building (1923)


City:Hawera