Topic: Campbell's Building 1912

Topic type:

Campbell's Building 

This two-storey concrete building in High Street was built in 1912 for Mr Malcolm J.Campbell. It was designed by noted Hawera architect, Mr J.A.Duffill, and the contractor was Mr J.W.Tong.

Mr M.J.Campbell settled in Hawera in 1872 and eventually established his own grocery business in 1897 (this date appears on the outside of the building). One of his sons, James Ernest Campbell, was Mayor of Hawera from 1933 until his sudden death in 1939. 

It featured in the Hawera Town Centre Heritage Inventory, 2003 where it was noted that the building has the unusual feature of "never having been painted allowing the original architectural intention to remain intact".

It is likely the building will be demolished in 2016 to provide access to car-parking behind the main High Street shopping area. The proposed pedestrian walkway will be named after the prominent Hawera family.

(Demolished July, 2016)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion