Topic: Nolan Building (cnr High and Regents Streets)

Topic type:

Nolan Building 

This two-storey building on the corner of High and Regents Streets was built in 1901 for the local firm Nolan, Tonks and Co. It replaced a wooden building which was destroyed by fire earlier that year.

The prominent corner location and classical design combine to make it a landmark building in the town centre. It has a category 2 listing with Heritage New Zealand.

The building was designed by the architects, Warren and Stephenson (Hawera).The contractor was Mr A.A.Pikett from New Plymouth, whose firm completed all the work with the exception of the plumbing, which was done by Smart Bros. of Stratford.

The ground floor was divided into three shops and the upper floor was office space. The jewellers, Gerrands, occupied the corner shop for several decades until they re-located further down High Street. (see linked topic)

Taranaki Farmers Co-op, later Allied Farmers Ltd, housed their head office in the building from 1932-1999.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion