Caplen Building 1882.

Welcome to the Hawera Buildings basket.

If you would like to add images, documents or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please sign up to Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.

 

Hawera Buildings


City:Hawera

Latest 10 topics

C.C. Ward Ltd. Building (Hāwera).

C.C. Ward Ltd. Building (Hāwera)

This two-storey building on High Street in Hāwera was erected in 1936 for the New Plymouth-based drapery firm, C.C. Ward Ltd. 

On 8 July 1935 advertisements appeared in the Hawera Star asking for applications for space in the new "Business Building" to be erected by C.C. Ward Ltd. in High Street. The statement that "special requirements for approved tenants may be incorporated into the design" indicates that final plans had not been drawn up as yet. Underneath this

Hawera County Council Offices 1912.

Hawera County Council Offices 1912

When the entry for the Hāwera County Council offices appeared in the Hāwera Town Centre Heritage Inventory in 1997, little was known about its early history. Since then the building has been listed as a category 2 historic place with Heritage New Zealand and more information is now available. 

The building in Princes Street was erected in 1912 for the then Hāwera County Council. It was designed by local architect, Joseph Edward Roe, and the contractor was Mr

White Hart Hotel (Hawera).

White Hart Hotel (Hawera)

The White Hart Hotel is located on the corner of High & Princes Streets in Hāwera. The site has been home to a hotel since 1876 when Thomas Lloyd opened the Empire Hotel.

The building above was built in 1909 and at this time was still known as the Empire Hotel. It was designed by Hāwera architect J.E.Rowe and the contractors were Messrs Haines & McAneny.

The hotel was renamed 'White Hart' in 1923 by the then publican James Nichol Anderson. In 1931 alterations were made

R.A.Nolan Building.

R.A.Nolan Building

This two-storey building stands next to the Hawera Foundries Building (linked) in Union Street. It was designed in 1919 by the same architects, Duffill & Gibson, although of quite a different design to the neighbouring building. The contractor was Mr E.A.Pacey.

It was built for R.H.Nolan, of the firm Nolan & Tonks, prominent Hawera stock auctioneers and land agents. However, a note on the original plans indicates that it was to be occupied by R.Morrissey & Company. 

Sir Robert Howard Nolan (1855 -

Hawera Foundries Building 1928.

Hawera Foundries Building 1928

This two-storey building at 6-8 Union Street was erected in 1928 for Hawera Foundries. The company is described in the Hawera Town Centre Heritage Inventory as a "holding company whose business was elsewhere". 

The building was designed by well-known Hawera architects Duffill & Gibson - plans held by Puke Ariki (ARC2004-822). The contractor was Arthur M. Brown.

The building receives particular praise in the heritage inventory as, "a good commercial building of the late 1920s, which has heritage value for the fact that is has

C.A.Wilkinson's Building (Hawera).

C.A.Wilkinson's Building (Hawera)

This reinforced concrete building on High Street in Hāwera was built in 1940 for C.A. Wilkinson Ltd. It was designed by the prominent Hāwera architectural partnership, Duffill & Gibson - plans held by Puke Ariki (ARC2005-127).

Charles Wilkinson was a prominent Eltham businessman and politician. The company he formed had stores in Eltham, Stratford, Hāwera and New Plymouth.

The entry for this building in the Hāwera Town Centre Heritage Inventory describes it was being "a very good example of the art deco style of architecture", in particular

Taranaki Newspapers Ltd. Building (Hawera).

Taranaki Newspapers Ltd. Building (Hawera)

This two-storey building at 187 High Street was erected in 1932 for the Taranaki Daily News. It was designed by prominent Hawera architects Duffill & Gibson and the plans are held by Puke Ariki (ARC2005-53). 

The architect's plans and a photo taken in 1957 (linked) show that the original name on the facade was "Taranaki Daily News", this was probably altered after Taranaki Newspapers Limited (TNL) was formed in 1962.

According to the Hawera Town Centre Heritage Inventory entry (linked) the premises remained in use by

Hawera Sample Rooms 2020.

Hawera Sample Rooms 2020

2020 View

The present building on this site was constructed in stages during 1921 and 1947-51, although the site was earlier occupied by three timber cottages constructed for Mr James Phair during 1881 and surviving until demolished in 1921. 

The first portion of the present building to be constructed was the rear reinforced concrete portion of the present structure on the site, which was designed and built by contractor John Wilson Tong. Covering an area of 10,850 square feet,

Egmont Tourist Motors 2020.

Egmont Tourist Motors 2020

2020 View

Parts of the present building on this site, being part of allotment 51 of block 14 Hawera Town, likely date back to 1884, with substantial additions and alterations made to the structure during 1911 and 1933-34.

During January 1877, ownership of Allotment 51 was transferred from Thomas Quinlivan to Charles Tait, before being promptly transferred to Martin Power. Ownership of the property was held by Power until the section was purchased by Dunedin clerk Eustace Henry Fulton during

J. G. Osborne & Co Building 2020.

J. G. Osborne & Co Building 2020

2020 View

This attractive single-storey reinforced concrete building was constructed during 1918-19 for J. G. Osborne & Co (who leased the property from Nolan, Tonks & Co) and replaced an earlier two-storied timber auction mart constructed for R. H. Nolan & Co in 1881.

The principal Regent Street elevation is designed in a stripped Classical style being finished with both stucco plaster and smooth cement render and decorated with moulded geometric

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Hāwera Public Library.

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.