Topic: Central Hotel 1915

Topic type:

Central Hotel, Eltham 

The Hawera & Normanby Star announced on 3 December 1915 that the old Central Hotel (corner High and Bridge Streets) had been demolished and had been replaced by a "fine building in concrete". 

The architect was Mr J.A. Duffill and the contractor was Mr J.W.Tong with the contract price expected to exceed £3,000. 

The licensee, Mr G.W.Tayler (see linked topic), was congratulated for his enterprise in providing such an up-to-date establishment. It was described as having, "26 bedrooms, three sitting rooms and two bathrooms and every modern convenience". 

An earlier hotel on this site was known as the Branch Hotel - a licence granted to John Inston in 1885. Additions were made in 1907 and at the same time the name changed to the Central Hotel.

In 1965-66 Taranaki Breweries Ltd. took over the hotel and were granted a Tavern Licence.

Puke Ariki holds plans by Duffill for 'R.Campbell', dated about 1918, for alterations to the Central Hotel. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion